Our Experience and Achievements
L3n has been providing network engineering services and consultancy to both large and small businesses for 13 years.
Prior to forming L3n in 2002, our core team were members of the company that built the early Internet core backbone which brought commercial Internet services to the UK and Europe.
Starting with a grounding in telecommunications via an apprenticeship through to Primex Implementation and Maintenance Support Manager over a span of 13 years with British Telecom International. Simon progressed to becoming responsible for the CompuServe global networks across a large part of Europe (ie non-German) starting with X25 and Frame Relay technologies and progressing to TCP/IP.
After a period as Manager European Data-Centre Operations for MCI WorldCom Advanced Networks (MWAN), Simon moved on to work as European Product Support Manager for the Global MWAN Network.
After a period leading the UK edge engineering team in IP Network Engineering for UUNET, he then formed L3n (initially Cambridge Network Services) with two former UUNET colleagues in 2002.
Linda joins us as Finance Director/Project Manager. She hails from a large publishing company in Cambridge where she worked in various roles including legal services and the IT helpdesk
Experienced Support Staff
L3n uses highly qualified and experienced supporting staff who are a vital part of our approach to delivering high-quality networking services.
In addition to any appropriate qualifications (such as Cisco certification), we use engineers with a broad range of practical knowledge of hardware and applications.
Major projects undertaken by our consultants and engineers include:
- completing an in-depth network survey and report for a major UK Chemical Manufacturer.
- completing a multi-year rolling upgrade of communications infrastructure for a major UK cinema chain.
- rebuilding a large Cisco-based IT infrastructure for a global multimedia company.
- installing and configuring resilient routing infrastructure for a UK hosting company.
- providing design consulting services to support the rollout of a UK-wide VoIP and multimedia gateway service for the UK academic community.
- product testing for a global telecommunications company to ratify new IP voice-based products.
- building and installing a data centre for BT's emerging media operating arms.
- carrying out a network audit and penetration security tests and reports for a pre-eminent UK marketing company.
- supplying, installing and commissioning new voice, data and wireless communications infrastructure for a new local authority learning village. This involved working in conjunction with the contractor on a Public/Private Partnership scheme (PPP).
- carrying out protocol migrations of operational networks within a carrier environment.
- designing and providing bespoke Cisco and foundation network training to a large UK Internet service provider.
- designing quality of service-based network services for major ISP networks.
- designing and implementing commercial network connectivity services for consumer and business.
- ... and on .. and on...
Our combination of experience, knowledge and practical skills enables us to understand business communication requirements and deliver:
- Cost-effective networking services.
Our ethos is to continue providing high-quality services to a relatively small base of customers, while developing our business steadily and sustainably.
For this reason, whether we are providing expert advice, supplying and installing hardware, or supporting and protecting existing systems, we only commit to projects we can match with our knowledge and resources.